Introduction to Design Fundamentals
Do you have designer dreams and need some guidance with the execution? In this introduction class we will cover the basic concepts of pattern making and pattern manipulation. This class is great for students ready for the next step after working with commercial sewing patterns.
Using basic pattern blocks, students will create multiple bodice patterns by exploring the concepts of dart manipulation, style lines and contouring. Students will learn how to create different bodices, collars, and basic sleeve patterns. Sewing will not be involved in these classes, but students are welcome to sew up muslin samples as homework each week and bring them in the following classes to go over. These skills are the foundation of all pattern drafting, made-to-measure sewing and fashion design. This class will get you well on your way to your designer dreams or just feeling more confident in your sewing skills!
No experience in pattern cutting is required but you should already:
- have worked with a variety of commercial patterns
- have the ability to sew different seam allowances
- have made a range of sewn garments
- understand and have worked with darts
Skill Level: 5
Cost: $260 +GST
- Class Length: 4 x 2.5 hour sessions or weekend session
- Prerequisite: Introduction to Pattern Drafting or equivalent
- 1-2 metres pattern drafting paper (kraft paper, large format tracing paper, medical paper, or plain legal size paper is appropriate!)
- Scotch Tape
- Pencil & Eraser
- Grid Ruler or Pattern Master
Registered students take 10% off most products in our shop!
Topics of Discussion
- Introduction to Concepts of Pattern Making and Dart Manipulation
- Designing with Darts
- Style Lines and Splicing
- Yokes and Classic Empire