Introduction to the Trouser Fly
You can sew straight and curved seams while keeping a consistent seam allowance. You can thread your own machine, wind a bobbin, and trouble shoot tension issues (with guidance). You have a basic understanding of different fabric types and have several projects under your belt.
At this point, you know how to read and work with a pattern, cut fabric with care, and may perhaps have worked with a few different weights of fabrics. Now it’s time to master lapped zippers on trousers!
We will be working with our Peg Trousers pattern where you will continue applying techniques you learnt in Sewing 101 and 102.
Skill Level: 3
Cost: $280 + GST
- Max. 8 students
- Location: WEST
- Class Length: 4 x 3 hour sessions or 1 weekend session
- Prerequisite: Sewing 102 or equivalent
MACHINE NEEDLES & TENSION
You’ve seen the dial on your machine and perhaps have a little idea what it does. Let us show you how to properly adjust the thread tension accordingly for several types of textiles.
You have experience sewing a regular zip, perhaps centred and exposed. Get some more practice with zippers by learning how to insert this frequently used lapped zipper. You will have the opportunity to sew a sample version before sewing it onto your trousers.
A fitted waistband is different than a straight waistband. Learn the difference between the two before completing your peg trousers!
What is included?
- Fabrics for your reference books
- Sewing Pattern
- Sewing guides
- 250m spool of black or white polyester thread (Gutterman or Coats)
- Dressmaking Pins (Glass, Pearl, or Plastic head)
- Dressmaking Shears (You will need this in class 2, 3 & 4)
- Fabrics & notions for garment projects (This will be discussed in class 1 or a list will be sent to you)