Want to create and build your dream wardrobe but don’t know where to start? Our Sewing 102 class is the class for you! Learn how to read and work from a pattern and sew a complete outfit.
No experience in dressmaking is required but you should already:
- know how to thread a sewing machine
- know how to wind a bobbin
- have the ability to sew different seam allowances
- understand the purpose of back-stitching
- have made a range of sewn items equivalent to those made in our Sewing 101 course
Skill Level: 2
Cost: $275 + GST
- Max. 8 students
- Location: WEST
- Class Length: 4 x 3 hour sessions or 1 weekend session
- Prerequisite: Sewing 101 or equivalent
- 250m spool of black or white polyester thread (Gutterman or Coats)
- Dressmaking Pins (Glass, Pearl, or Plastic head)
- Dressmaking Shears (You will need this in class 2, 3 & 4)
- Fabrics & notions for garment projects (This will be discussed in class 1 or a list will be sent to you)
What is included?
- Fabrics for your reference books
- Shorts Pattern
- Sewing guides
- Elastic for your waistband
- 1 x Bobbin (Extra bobbins are available for purchase 4 for $1)
With so many options available, choosing the right fabrics can be tough and overwhelming. This class will prepare you to pick out the perfect fabrics for your upcoming projects. Learn how to identify whether a textile consists of natural or synthetic fibres, the hand, weight, and drape of the fabrics discussed. Take home with you a small selection of fabric swatches and all the terminology discussed in class!
ALL ABOUT SEAMS
So many different types of finishing but which one to chose?! In this session you will practice sewing 4 different seams: double-stitched, french, flat-felled, and bound.
PATTERNS & CUTTING
Learn how to properly measure yourself, how to read, cut, and alter the pattern length. We will then show you how to accurately pin the pattern on to the fabric before cutting the pieces.
THE FOLD SHORTS
Complete your first pair of shorts by learning how to insert elastic into a casing and finishing the hem. Learn about the various types of interfacing and its purpose.