No experience in dressmaking is required but you should already:
- know how to thread a sewing machine
- know how to wind a bobbin
- have the ability to sew different seam allowances
- understand the purpose of back-stitching
- have made a range of sewn items equivalent to those made in our Sewing 101 course
What is included?
- Fabrics for your reference book
- Shorts & Top Pattern
- Sewing guides
- 1 x Bobbin (Extra bobbins are available for purchase 4 for $1)
- 250m spool of black or white polyester thread (Gutterman or Coats)
- Dressmaking Pins (Glass, Pearl, or Plastic head)
- Dressmaking Shears (You will need this in class 2, 3 & 4)
- Fabrics & notions for garment projects (This will be discussed in class 1 or a list will be sent to you)
Skill Level: 2
Cost: $275 + GST
- Max. 6 students
- Class Length: 4 x 3 hour sessions or 1 weekend session
- Prerequisite: Sewing 101 or equivalent
With so many options available, choosing the right fabrics can be tough and overwhelming. This class will prepare you to pick out the perfect fabrics for your upcoming projects. Learn how to identify whether a textile consists of natural or synthetic fibres, the hand, weight, and drape of the fabrics discussed. Take home with you a small selection of fabric swatches and all the terminology discussed in class!
PATTERNS & CUTTING
Learn how to properly measure yourself, how to read, cut, and alter the pattern length. We will then show you how to accurately pin the pattern on to the fabric before cutting the pieces.
THE FOLD SHORTS
Complete the shorts by learning how to insert elastic into a casing and finishing the hem.
THE OLSEN TOP
Part I: Get more practice in taking measurements, cutting, and altering patterns to fit you. Before the end of the class, you will learn how to insert a basic sleeve and how to french seam.
Part II: Learn what a facing is and the different types of interfacing, how to attach a facing, and finishing the sleeve and shirt hems.